[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Where (in western hemisphere) to be for Leonids

In looking at Rob McNaught's two "Leonids-eye-view" visibility
maps of the Earth on this Web site:

 http://www.arm.acdot uk/leonid/info2000.html

it seems like about the best place in the Western Hemisphere,
in terms of night sky and radiant height, in order to have a
shot at *both* of the maxima (3:44 and 7:51 UTC on Nov. 18)
would be Newfoundland, eastern Labrador, northeastern Quebec,
or Nova Scotia, Canada.  Actually, most of Greenland looks
pretty well placed also.  However, I hear it's foggy in those
places, not to mention really, really cold....

How about an airplane flight from Iceland or even Scotland or
Norway to Newfoundland...?

Too bad the Moon will be so bright, and I'll be stuck in Texas.
We here were fogged out last year and have been in a mostly
poor weather pattern for weeks now.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA