[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observing the Leonids from Florida

In a message dated 11/2/00 8:08:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
PETER.S.GURAL@saic.com writes:

<< He is looking for help from amateur meteor observers who would like to
 participate with the teams or join us for observations in general. Anyone
 familiar with alternative observing sites in the event weather forces us to
 go on the road please contact us.  >>

    I myself have begun looking into possibly observing the Leonids from
Florida -- just in case the weather ends up turning unsettled here in the
northeast.  One locale which seems promising is somewhere within the confines
of the Ocala National Forest in north-central Florida.  Another is from the
grounds of the Rosemary Hill Observatory near Bronsen.  According to a friend
of mine who went to school down there and spent many nights working at RHO on
his Phd thesis, the skies were
" . . . about as dark there as any site in Florida."  Of course, I would need
special permission to be there for the Leonids, something my friend is
working on for now.

    At the moment, however, all my plans are still in a "holding pattern"
until the weather trends come more into focus.  The very earliest that I
believe that I'll get any kind of handle as to what the general weather
prospects would be along the US East Coast wont come until probably the end
of next week.  Although the MRF (Medium Range Forecast) model is available
out to 10 days . . . I wouldn't have any confidence with any model until
we're inside 144 hours . . . and that wont happen until a week from this
Saturday!  By then, I think I'll know whether to try my options up here in
the northeast or start booking a quickie/cheapie flight down to Florida!

-- joe rao