[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fw: Moon meteorite impact videos

>   I looked up the stories for the video imaging of meteorite
> impacts on the moon. Does anyone know if there showers other
> than the leonids would yield results? Would it be worth the try?
> How can we predict if the position of the moon will be in
> a favorable position for a particular shower?

I suspect that attempts to observe impacts on the moon during "normal"
meteor showers is misguided.  The size of the objects responsible for
the 1998 Leonid lunar impact video detections are of the size that would
produce bright fireballs on Earth.  Such events occured in unusual
numbers during the 1998 Leonids.  It is more likely that lunar impacts
that would be detectable using video, will be strongly correlated with
large fireballs on the Earth.  Such fireballs can occur during some
showers, but the rate is not very significantly higher than sporadic
fireballs.

Monitoring the crescent Moon in the evening, will detect high velocity
impacts, whereas monitoring the waning crescent in the morning
detects low velocity impacts.

Cheers, Rob