[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observing the Leonids from Florida

In a message dated 11/5/00 6:58:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
henryf@quartz.gly.fsudot edu writes:

<< My office is physically located on the FSU campus and I know of no
observatory
 run by FSU.  Could you be thinking of the dark sky site operated by the
 Tallahassee Astronomical Society in Lloyd?  >>

    Sorry for the confusion Mr. Freedenberg!  I believe that the observatory
in question (initially referred to by Peter Gural) is not affiliated with
Florida State University. Rather . . . it is the Rosemary Hill Observatory
which is situated approximately 30 miles from the University of Florida
campus, in an isolated hilly region. The nearest town to RHO is Bronson.

    Rosemary Hill is the University's optical research observatory. Founded
in 1967, it was funded by an NSF Center of Excellence grant. The 80-acre site
was donated by a public-spirited citizen, Mrs. Marie Hergert. The facilities
include two telescope domes, a dormitory, and a utility building. Through the
generous cooperation of Mr. Bob Cremer, then Director of the University's
Physical Plant, the infrastructure was completely renovated in 1993-4, and
the interior roads were paved in 1995. Satellite photos show Rosemary Hill
near the center of the largest dark area in north Florida; stars as faint as
22nd magnitude have been recorded on slow, fine-grain plates.

    I have also been informed by Dr. John Oliver of the University of
Florida's astronomy department, that NASA's Peter Jenniskens has contacted
him for possible use of the observatory grounds for observation of the
Leonids.

-- joe rao