[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) lunar impact predictions

Hi all;

Brian Cudnik, the acting coordinator of the ALPO lunar section, lunar impact
search program, has posted predictions that I generated for moon geometries
corresponding to upcoming meteor showers in the next two months. They can be
found at:

http://www.lpl.arizonadot edu/~rhill/alpo/lunarstuff/moonhits1.htm

The plots give you an idea as to where to search on the moon's face for
shower associated meteoroid impacts. I will be creating predictions for the
entire IMO meteor shower list for the year of 2001 after the Leonids. Please
note that these shower's may or may not produce any result depending on the
stream's density and particle distribution at the moon.  Brian's
observational program also is requesting observer's to help record the lunar
dark face each lunation every month of the year regardless of meteor shower
activity.  The plots provided are only additional target nights associated
with meteor showers. Note that the Quandratids on Jan 3, 2001 has a
favorable viewing geometry for lunar impacts.

Pete
peter.s.gural@saic.com