[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: photo strategies for Leonids '00? (was Re: (meteorobs) DMS ready for take off to the Leonids 2000

>  I would like your input (& from anyone else) on *strategies* for
> photographing the Leonids, with the last-quarter moon near the radiant.

By using a rotating shutter, you cut down the background intensity
without reducing the intensity of the meteor.  Well, more or less.
The better the ratio of closed to open, the more the effect, although you
have to have a sufficiently fast rotation (say 15-20 breaks per second
depending on focal length and distance from the radiant) such that you
have a reasonable chance of recording close in time to maximum meteor
intensity.  The interupted trail also makes the trails more noticeable.

If you don't want interrupted trails, just watch to see what the
activity level is.  Start taking short exposures if the rates are
suitably high.  Otherwise, you'll use lots of film for little result.