[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: photo strategies for Leonids '00?

In a message dated 11/10/00 3:06:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mboschat@ns.sympaticodot ca writes:

<<
 last year we went 50 miles from the city and I shot using a 50mm f/1.8 lens
 with
 Kodak Gold 400 ASA. I had 3 bright fireballs of at least -6 to -10 mag go
 through the field
 but whne the film was developed I could not find them at all!
  One I saw go through Orion and had my camera at that area and knew it went
 through.
 But nothing. Another observer was using a similar lens but 800 ASA film and
 he only
 got a very faint streak. >>

Probably what happened is that both of you missed the fireballs of -6 thru
-10 or your camera's were aimed relatively low in the sky which means any
meteors in that area were quite far away. The light from far away meteors
isn't really all that potent to expose film. I had a lot of these and it's
always a puzzlement. The only solution is to aim higher in the sky, although
you will be covering less atmosphere with less meteors in that area.
GeoZay