[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid meteor shower Weather Outlook #2

In a message dated 11/10/00 7:36:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, johnk@dmv.com
writes:

<< One thing is, right now, the only publicly avaliable model extending
beyond 7
 days is the 10-day MRF... >>

    An interesting point concerning the MRF (or as we forecasters lovingly
refer to it as:  "The Murph").  One should also look at the day-to-day trends
with each computer run -- especially for those runs that are made beyond 120
hours.  As an example: for Saturday, at 0h UTC (November 17 at 7 p.m. EST),
the MRF at 240-hours had a weak inverted low pressure trough in the western
Gulf of Mexico.  The 216-hour run had a very well-defined low pressure system
centered over near Danville, Virginia.  At 192-hours, this same disturbance
was shifted over to a position about 200 miles east of Cape Hatteras.  So . .
. the difference between what the MRF computer model indicated through 48
hours and over three different runs is striking:  the same storm for next
Friday evening is depicted in three different places spread out over a
difference of 1500 miles!

    The current trend seems to be to move this feature along at a
progressively faster rate.  On two of these three runs, it was also depicted
as a relatively weak system.  I would not be surprised if the Saturday MRF
run has the storm even a bit farther out to sea.  In truth, we probably wont
have a real good "fix" on this storm's potential position until Monday --
when the model run guidance reaches the critical 120-hour mark.

    And I wouldn't completely scoff at weather predictions made beyond a
5-day interval.  Certainly, we along the US East Coast are very much aware at
this moment what the all-important weather feature is that we all should
focus on for Leonid observations next Thursday and Friday nights: namely low
pressure emerging from out of the Gulf of Mexico and tracking up along the
coast.  It should, at the very least, give prospective observers a chance to
consider what travel options they might wish to explore.

Things should (hopefully) come into much greater focus by Monday!

-- joe rao