[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) today's news

Hi all,

As I know, there was only a very big bolid between Italy, Corse and french riviera at 01H56 UT,
november 18 1999.
Maybe there was also a bolid at 4H00 UT, but not so impressive than the one at 1H56 UT.
This bolid was mag -14 and two friends (some amateur astronomers well known in France, Mr Gerard
Faure & Mr Emmanuel Brochard) do some very accurate investigations on it, and after many month were
able to perform orbit calculations about this object.
It seems it was a rocky ball about 0.28 m diameter, density 1.3, mass 15 kg.
Entry in atmosphere alt 160 km ; 10°23' E ; 42° 40' N
End alt near 70 km ; 8° 01' E ; 42° 56' N

This object was seen from Italy to Bearn, south west of France, maybe 400 to 500 km away, and
800-1000 km diameter area !

This very good job was published by the Bureau des Longitudes, Paris, on his website,
http://www.bdl.fr/s2p/leonides/
Unfortunately, this incredible page is in french.

You can also find it by a special permission by this friends on my personnal website. The authors
add some comments in english at the bottom of the page that are not present in the BDL website.

Please, go to :
http://www.astrosurf.com/carnets-astronome
Follow the link : "Le dossier Léonides"  . There is two pages on this subject :
"Un bolide dans le ciel de provence, 18 novembre 1999 1H56 TU"  > with some photos and an animated
gif from another friend, and
"Un bolide dans le ciel de Provence, le détail de l'enquête" > the full investigation with
calculations, comments and basic program used by the authors.

Direct links are :
http://www.astrosurf.com/carnets-astronome/leonides_dos_bolideprovence.htm
http://www.astrosurf.com/carnets-astronome/leonides_dos_bolideprovence2.htm

Best regards,