[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Huge Brilliant contrail in sky

I have searched the www looking for information.
Nothing.

We were observing through telescopes near
McDonald Observatory in West Texas Long 104.01
latititude 30.6.  At near 5 am on the morning of
October 26, we witnessed what appeared to be
a contrail from a missile launch.  It was just
west of due north near the star Polaris, but lower about 20 degrees altitude.
This brilliant contrail covered at least 20 degrees of sky indicating it was nearby.  No meteor was seen or
heard.  It did not light up the ground. In fact we only, noticed that it was there when one of us turned and looked north.  The brilliance
of the huge cloud was near full moon brightness.
The "contrail" was twisted: going straight up then westward then spreading outward .  It could only be
a rocket launch or missile launch of some sort.
It was visible until at least 1 hour, and diminished
in brightness very slowly.

Any ideas?  White Sands comes to mind, but
no launch information was found.

Sincerely,
Barbara Wilson