[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) grazers

I think of a grazer as a meteor whose initial entry path is virtually tangent to the atmosphere.
The three grazers I have seen did not necessarily skip back out into space. They may have simply depleted their available material and faded. The Jackson Hole asteroid did indeed return to the solar system but it was rocky in nature.

With respect to meteor showers, I think of a grazer as a meteor associated with the radiant being nearly on the horizon and displaying a burn path on the order of 90 degrees or more.

I am unaware of any formal definition for a 'grazer' if there is one.  It is simply the term that I have applied to the examples I cited earlier. It may be confusing to refer to them as such if there is a pre-existing definition.

Tom