Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:10:28 +0000 (WET)
To: 100427.3075@compuserve.com, imo-news@egroups.com, meteorobs@jovian.com
cc: rarlt@aipdot de
Subject: IMO Rapid Communication Network
From: Marc Gyssens <marc.gyssens@luc.acdot be>

I N T E R N A T I O N A L   M E T E O R   O R G A N I Z A T I O N

2000 Leonids: Rapid Information Dissemination

Dear meteor observer,

>From earlier communications, you have learned that the IMO is setting
up a communication network to obtain reliable information as soon as
possible for the nights of November 16/17, November 17/18, and
November 18/19. We invite you to contribute to this effort.

First of all, we want to point out you must DISTINGUISH between the
USUAL OBSERVATIONAL REPORTS, such as collected by the IMO's Visual
Commission, and which may be used for detailed, global analyses, and
the "EXPRESS REPORT" described below which serves as sole purpose the
compilation of a first rough but reliable picture of the activity within
hours after receipt.

The EXPRESS REPORT should have the following format (do not forget
the date):

2000 November 16/17
Meteo R. Observer
Fireball City (45N 10E)

Time Interval (UT)    Lim. Magn.    Nr. of Leonids    Remarks (if any)
03:15-03:30           5.8           7                 None
03:30-03:45           5.9           16                None
03:45-04:00           6.1           56                None
    .
    .
    .

As a rule of thumb, bin your observations for this "express report"
in time interval of 15 MINUTES.

(Again, the full report of your observations will be different from
this express report, as shorter intervals may be required as well as
magnitude distributions and some additional data - see the earlier
posted article with visual observing hints - but the above data
suffice for the purpose indicated.)

If you wish to collaborate with the IMO in this respect, please send
your express report ONLY for the nights of November 16/17, 17/18, and
18/19 *** IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE OBSERVATION *** to the following email
addresses:

 -------------------------
|  wgn@imodot net               PRIMARY
|  gyssens@hcoss.uia.acdot be   Back-up
|  gyssens@cs.indianadot edu    Back-up

The latter two are back-up addresses in case of local computer or
internet failures. The back-up addresses are only active during the
three nights concerned!

Marc Gyssens
International Meteor Organization

------- End of Forwarded Message