[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Request for observations of transverse moving objects inLeonid meteors

I also observed transverse "orange sparks" during the 1999 Leonid shower but in
my case they were seen as I observed  two dim meteors  that were about to
intensify into  fireball status.   I posted this observation about two weeks
ago.
For the sake of this thread request I will cut and paste the 10/31 E-mail again.

Hope this is of some help:

During the 1999 Leonid shower I saw two fireballs.  But I was lucky enough to
spot them before they reached fireball magnitude.   For at least the first 10-15

degrees of travel the meteor was relatively dim at +3 or +4 and had a golden
sparkly appearance.   It reminded me of a child's Fourth of July sparkler thrown

through the air.   After this the meteor burned as a bright white fireball with
some lavender color and no "sparkles".    It did leave a lasting train.
I didn't mention the sparkling earlier as I thought I was seeing things.   With
this thread I decided to see if anyone else has "seen"  or documented this
effect.
Thanks,
Dustin Brown