[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [IMO] The 2000 Leonid Meteor Shower

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:27:09 +0000 (WET)
From: Marc Gyssens <marc.gyssens@luc.acdot be>
To: 100427.3075@compuserve.com, B.J.Peiser@livjm.acdot uk, gbal@unimt.mt,
        imo-news@egroups.com, meteorobs@jovian.com
cc: marc.gyssens@luc.acdot be, rarlt@aipdot de
Subject: The 2000 Leonid Meteor Shower

I N T E R N A T I O N A L   M E T E O R   O R G A N I Z A T I O N

                          The 2000 Leonids
                          ================

Dear Meteor Friend,

There is no need for telling you that it is very important to
monitor the Leonids also this year, despite the unfavorable
Moon. Two major peaks are predicted around 3:44 and 7:51 UT in the
night of November 17-18, although activity may not be as
elevated as last year. The first peak favors European longitudes,
the second one American longitudes.

For your information, we provide you in attachment with the following
documents:

1. Press Release;
2. Science Note;
3. Visual Observing Info.

An important factor in this year's Leonid observations is the
disturbing Last Quarter Moon. Document 3 contains some important
advise on how to deal with this situation.

Although a real meteor storm is less likely than last year, it
is important to be prepared in case such an event materializes,
because it is then no longer possible to record all the data a
visual observer usually records. Therefore, you must make
priorities. Document 3 also contains vital information about choosing
these priorities in such a way that later analyses can get the most
out of your observations.

So, please study Document 3 carefully and prepare yourself for the
Leonids as well as reasonably possible!

Furthermore, it is not unlikely that your local press may ask you
for information about the upcoming Leonid event. For this purpose,
Documents 1 and 2 (a short press release and more expanded
elaboration) may be useful. Provided proper credits are given, you are
welcome to use these documents in any manner that suits you.

Finally, note that the International Meteor Organization is currently
making arrangements to ensure, weather permitting, that reliable first
results will be available within hours after the above times. Press
releases based on these results will also be forwarded to you.

Kind regards,

Marc Gyssens
Council Member

email: wgn@imodot net