[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Last night leonid photos : First results and advices

Hi all !

I just come back from the photographer's shop with the last night photos.

If you permit, I would like to give some advices in order you do not the same errors than me !

I took photos with a 24 mm lens FD 2.8 and fuji film superia 800 on fixed tripod.
I tried 2, 3, 5, 8, and 11 minutes exposure.
Limiting mag of the sky was 5.7.

1 exposure time is no longer a problem, as the sky background is almost the same with 2 minutes than
11 minutes ...
There is only a few differences ... So maybe is it a good choice to shot à 8-10 minutes until ther
is great activity in order to save film ...

2 moon is a big problem. There was an halo on the photos with or without moon on the photos (moon
just out of the photo I mean).  The halo extend sometimes to one third of the image !  If possible,
take picture only on the opposite side of the sky where the moon is not. But, maybe for artistic
purpose, a halo with a great meteor on the same picture will be nice ! Try it !

3 only a leonid mag - 1 was recorded but appears very bright with naked eye and almost invisible on
the photo. There was 2 sporadics mag +1 not recorded.

I just put these images (the mag -1 2000 Leonid,  and the photo index) on a special webpage. So if
you are interested by this "one night before" test, please go to

http://www.astrosurf.com/carnets-astronome
And follow the link "nouveau- new" on the home page.

Best regards and ...clear sky !
Christophe