[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids in Costa Rica

Cindee -

> am no longer in Los Angeles. I am now in a small coastal village in Costa
> Rica. Yippee! Dark skies!!!
> Could someone let me know what viewing times and directions would be best
>& what my chances of viewing are in this near equator latitude.

If you have clear skies right now, now would be a good time to observe!!

Direction.. doesn't matter.  The Leonids can be seen anywhere in the sky.
Try to avoid facing the moon - it will wreck your dark adaption for seeing
fainter meteors.

As per the IMO, for their 'quickie' report requested, take note of your
limiting magnitude - the faintest star you can see - and just count how many
Leonids you can see in every 15 minute period.  Send this, along with your
name and location, directly to  wgn@imodot net  as soon as possible after your
observing.

Many of us are badly clouded out right now along the east coast.... although
I did see the moon briefly through rain about half an hour ago.  If you have
clear skies right now.... get outside!!

Good luck!

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada