[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from Southern California

brrrr.. it was cold.. greetings all.

  Just got back home from the local mountains of San Diego.  At the last
minute, my crazy Dutch neighbor, Arjen and I drove up to the Laguna
Mountains to observe the Leonids. Bob Lunsford met up with us 30 minutes
after we arrived.  My intention for the night was for a short casual fun
session with no formal data collection.

  The skies were absolutely crystal clear.. but it was cold (low40s F) and
there was a blistering northern wind the whole time which probably put the
"feel like" temp down to the 20s F.

  Using star count area #8 in Taurus, my LM was 6.1 (even with the moon on
the eastern horizon.  I observed for 2 hours 0630-0830 UT (due to work
considerations) and counted a total 25 meteors.

Time          Lm   Leo  Tau  Spo
0630-0730    6.1    4    1    4
0730-0830    6.1   12    1    3

  Because the radiant was so low, most all the LEOs were nice longish
grazers.. the longest being ~90-100 deg, no fireballs. One -2, One -1 and
the balance 0,1,2. (I collected no magnitude data tonite, though tomorrow, I
will).  All SPOs were quite dim (between mag 3 and 5)

  Its 2:03am (pacific time now).. Im going to bed. Bob is still up there
observing (and shivering) as I type this.  I look forward to hearing how the
rest of the night turned out.  We are expecting pristine clear skies again
tomorrow and since its a Friday night, I will observe all night and collect
formal observations for submission.

  Good night all

  Joseph Assmus
  San Diego, CA  USA