[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Note on Observing Technique for newer observers tonight!

Just one short note on something that's been troubling me about many of the
non-IMO (and even IMO) observing reports trickling in... Many of these give
observed hourly Sporadic (non-Leonid) rates which are REMARKABLY low - in
some cases, observers watch for an hour without seeing a single Sporadic.

While this is not impossible, it does worry me that some less experienced
observers may be misidentifying Sporadics as Leonids, or - an even greater
concern - not maintaining vigilant watch on the sky during each entire hour
of their observing periods. I do NOT mean this to discourage anyone from
reporting data exactly as they recorded it! But for those just heading to
observe as they read this message, these issues are worth keeping in mind.

Clear skies for tonight, everyone!
Lew Gramer