[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) comment on re: Note on Observing Technique for newer observers tonight!

>From: Wayne T Hally <meteors@eclipsedot net>
>While I concur, Lew, (I noted in my observations 17 LEO, 1 NTA, 3 >SPO)
>that is probably an effect of the poor limiting magnitudes (Mine >was only
>+4.5 with some remaining haze illuminated by the moon). The >?Leonids
>seemed fairly bright somewhere near the r =2.1, sporadics >with r =3.4 were
>most likely buried ihn the moon muck. However Lew's >point is well taken;
>not all meteors you see are Leonids, so be sure >to carefully identify
>them. Also, it's pretty easy to identify the >Taurids, with the much slower
>speed, and radiants between Jupiter and >the Pliedes.
>Wayne
  Joseph sez:
  Great point Wayne...dot it made me ask what effect 'moonmuck' had on my
visual perception?  My LM last night was 6.1.  On moonless nights I achieve
6.3-6.8.  With the 63% illuminated Moon blocked (by a parked auto), I could
clearly yet only 'faintly' detect the Milky Way, wheras on moonless nights,
the Milky Way is strikingly vivid at our site.
(I'm talking ZERO clouds and 5000 ft elevation)
  My observations WERE before midnight when there is a lowered probability
of observing a SPO. Too, the Leo radiant was so low as to make "online"
shower associations seem easier...  2 TAUs we saw were so clearly
identifiable... funny how they try to sneak past you but their slooow speed
gives you your first important clue
  Oh well.. it's now 5pm here in Calif and I'm filling my belly with coffee
in prep of tonites session. Looking forward to a full nights observation
with the Secretary General of the IMO (lucky me!).
  It looks to be VERY! clear... :-)).. yet VERY! cold :-(

  Full report to follow in the morning.

  Happy Hunting all!

  Joseph Assmus
  San Diego, CA  USA