[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from Maryland..they're pretty bright..

Denton, MD

My apologies on no limiting magnitude; always a bit hazy about how to do it, and
with this moon, even more uncertain (moon is rather bright, have been able to
block out direct view with my house..generally looking overhead. Skies are
totally devoid of clouds, at least.)

Observations:

6Z-630Z:  24 Leonids, one I'd describe as a "fireball", 2 sporadics/other
showers (one amazing instance where a bright green leonid passed on a parallel
track in the exact opposite direction of a very slow-moving , orange-yellow
meteor, a thumbs-width apart :-)

630Z-645Z:  15 Leonids.

They're pretty bright..no 1998 style fireballs, but the average brightness is
quite good and trains last a good 3-4 seconds.   Worth going out even if your
conditions are marginal.

Headed back out..

John Krempasky