[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) [IMO-News] Radio Meteor Scatter data

  Hello:

Gary Kronk wrote:
> The first peak listed in the IMO data occurred around 6:00 UT and is
> based on three observations, of which two came from the Canary
> Islands. The Canary Island observers were together. We should
> remember that an IAU Circular from 1998 indicated Canary Island
> observers were seeing rates of 1000 to 2000 per hour. As it turns out

  I was one of the 1998 Canary Islands observers whose registers
corrected those made by the "proffesional" astronomers group at the La
Palma observatory (they didnt know how to make a meteor report :)

  In the list of this IMO report I don't recognize any regular amateur
observer from this region (the only spanish I know, Josep Trigo
generally watches from Valencia, not here at the Canaries).

> So far, Ondrejov Observatory (Czech Republic), Ikka Yrjölä
> (Finland), and Michael Boschat (Nova Scotia) have all supplied radio
> meteor data that do not support the Canary Island observations or
> the 6:00 UT peak, even though the radio data should be detecting
> higher numbers because of its ability to detect fainter meteors.

  I think IMO should have published the report with the radio data to
give a more accurate view of the on going activity.

  Good nights... of good observing!

--
Víctor R. Ruiz
rvr@infoastro.com