[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) "Sucker hole" peek at the Leonids from N. Fla.

Greeting to all,
      Had a brief, albeit impessive look at the Ls
thru a 20-minute "sucker hole" in St. Augustine from
0735 - 0755 UT.  Less than 30% of the sky was clear,
but I could tell the Leonids were rockin and rollin
pretty good!!  Saw 12 Ls and 1 sporadic thru this
constantly shrinking hole.  Got the impression that at
least 200 per hour were possible in a completely clear
sky even with the moon.  Noted the "bursty" nature of
the meteors and their relative faintness as compared
to the awesome display of 1998.  With no moon and a
clear dark sky, the observed rate this year would have
been no doubt much, much higher!  After 0755 UT, the
hole vanished and that was it...  I think everyone
should brace for a rockin show from the Ls in 2001!!
I'm improving rapidly, I've gone from a 5 minute
Sicilian "sucker hole" in 1999 to a 20 minute "sucker
hole" in Florida!  At this rate, I might get a whole
hour's look at the Ls of 2001 (wink).  Long live the
Leonids!!!  I look forward to everyone's impressions.
Best wishes, Paul Jones in Florida