[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids - Southern California 11/17-18/00

Leonids November 17/18, 2000.

Bob Lunsford and I observed a nice display from the Laguna Mountains in San
Diego California.  The air was cold (lo 30s F. the wind was not nearly as
bad as the previous night).  The sky was clear all night.

Some of the highlights:
- several beautiful Leonid earth grazers with path lengths well over
80-90deg
- An awesome -2 Leonid with that familiar *intense* turquois-blue
  shade.  For me, this these are partly what makes staying up all
  night worth it!
- A beautiful -2 Taurid with an absolutely pure orange hue
- The -3 and -4 Leonids I did see were on the edge of my visual field

Visual results obtained by Joseph Assmus
Lat:  32deg 49' 49" N
Lon: 116deg 29' 43" W

I faced East (azimuth 70deg) for the first 3 intervals, the turned around
and faced West (azimuth 70deg) forthe remainder of the night.

Interval	Teff	Lm	Leo	Tau	Spo	Tot
0700-0730	0.492	6.5	3	--	3	6
0730-0800	0.489	6.5	7	--	1	8
0800-0830	0.479	6.5	10	1	4	15
0830-0900	0.474	6.5	14	1	4	19
0900-0930	0.471	6.5	16	1	4	21
0930-1000	0.471	6.2	15	2	4	21
1000-1030	0.489	6.2	7	1	--	8
1030-1100	0.483	6.2	5	--	7	12
1100-1130	0.483	5.9	9	--	3	12
1130-1200	0.488	5.9	9	--	--	9
1200-1230	0.478	5.9	12	1	3	16
1230-1300    	0.481	5.9	12	--	2	14

TOTAL	        5.776	--	119	7	35	161

Magnitude Distribution

   -4  -3  -2  -1  0  1  2  3  4  5
Leo 1	1   2	4  9  7	22 43 23  7
Tau -	-   1	-  1  3	 -  1  -  1
Spo -	1   -	-  3  4  3  7 12  5

All in all, a very very enjoyable session.  Bob traditionally sees more
meteors than I do, however, I turned to face west before he did and it
seemed like for that period I was seeing both more LEOs and SPOs than he.
Well, thats enough data crunching and typing. its 1100am, (bedtime-finally!)

Extracting toothpicks from eyelids,

Joseph Assmus
San Diego, CA  USA