[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Express Report (OUTBURST OBSERVED EASTERN US, 7-8UT, 17/18 Nov, GRALE)

Just waking up here in Massachusetts... Sounds like many Eastern US observers
saw similar shows from the wiley Leonids this morning: most of us seemed to
agree in terms of relative rates and time of peak. Am I correct in saying that
it appears the visual peak may have preceded the radar peak by as much as 15
or 20 minutes? The average magnitudes (for me at least) during the outburst
peak certainly seemed to favor brighter Leonids and a lower 'r' - seemingly
there was a lower-mass subcomponent right behind, though? Oh, to have had an
extra set of eyes during that amazing hour, to do telescopic observing with!!!

BTW, Rainer, I cannot tell you how depressed I was reading your email... I am
normally so dilatory about getting my reports in, that I was really absurdly
proud of myself for forcing my eyes to stay open until 10am to finish that
report... And here I find I left off one of the most critical data items! ;(

LOCATION:
I observed from ATMoB Clubhouse, MIT Haystack Observatory, Westford MA USA
Coordinates 42:37:10 N   070:30:30 W    146 m elevation
(IMO Site Code: 25235 - Note corrected longitude however!)

Last but not least, I have to agree with Wayne Hally that, other than the
Leonid fireball outburst in 1998, which I got to share with Norm McLeod and
his wife in Florida, this was the BEST SHOW OF MY STAR WATCHIN' LIFETIME! :)

Clear skies for tonight's follow up observations, everyone!
Lew