[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Express Report (OUTBURST OBSERVED EASTERN US, 7-8UT, 17/18 Nov, GRALE)

  Hi:

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 05:00:52PM -0500, Lew Gramer wrote:
> Last but not least, I have to agree with Wayne Hally that, other
> than the Leonid fireball outburst in 1998, which I got to share with
> Norm McLeod and his wife in Florida, this was the BEST SHOW OF MY
> STAR WATCHIN' LIFETIME! :)

  I was talking about that during yesterday observing with a friend.
The activity was comparable between 1998 and this year, also with very
brights meteors. But this year we didnt get as excited as in 1998. Why?
Maybe 1) the Moon brightness, which eclipsed this year bolids. 2) the
surprise effect of '98.

  We couldnt saw the maximum last year (as some of you can remember
-and some, dont want to-, the sky was totally covered on Canary
Islands), so 1998 remains the best shower I have seen ever, and
yesterday's, the second one.

  Ok. If the Asherish leonid models are right, what's the best place
to watch the once-in-a-century-and-even-more display of 2001?
Australia or India? (10 thousand meteors an hour? Sorry, IMO. I dont
think many, if not all, observers wont get any report, so better
prepare your video recorders ;-)

  Good nights... of good observing!

--
Víctor R. Ruiz