[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Pacific NW not so clear 11/17-18/00

Dustin Brown writes:
The Portland Oregon area developed high thin clouds Friday night.
Driving out the Columbia Gorge to Hood River at  7:00UST only gave
impossible cloud cover.
As I drove past Warrendale OR around 7:30 UST there was a clearing of
sorts with stars visible through high thin clouds   The Pleides was only
a smudge.   As I settled in to make the best of a minimal situation a -4
Leonid travelled from Auriga ~15 degrees east of my zenith towards the
west.   It continued till just  ~5 degrees from the western horizon were
it either burnt out or disappeared behind the cloudy haze over
Portland.   Aproximately 100 degrees of travel.  The magnitude did not
vary a lot and I saw no terminal burst.  It left a several second
train.   This occured at 7:46 UST
Due to the variable conditions I made no attempt to record the beautiful
meteor show for  the next hour or so.  Several bright Leonids.  It was
nice just to take in the wonder of it all which is what started me
watching meteors over 30 years ago.
An hour later the sky cleared enough to to give a LM of 5.2  and a
variable F of 1.25 to 1.66    Since over half the sky had clear and
usable LM and many meteors were flying I did a count for an hour.

DATE:   11/17-18/00         BEGIN:   8:57  UT       END:  10:04  UT
OBSERVER:   Dustin Brown
LOCATION: Long:   121.96   West; Lat:    45.61            North
City & State:   near Warrendale Oregon         Elevation:   200 feet
RECORDING METHOD:  Manual:  Talking watch/paper/pencil
                                  Kept dead time/(recording time) to 1
minute/hour
                                  by writing "blind"
                                  Break time 9:21 - 9:27

OBSERVED SHOWERS: (Use 3 letter Codes)

LEO
SPO

OBSERVING PERIODS:

PERIOD(UT)  FIELD      Teff    F             LM    LEO  SPO
08:57-10:04   05h +40    1.0   1.25-1.66    5.2     25     13
                                                  variable

METEOR DATA:

#    TIME(UT)  SHOWER   MAG

1       8:59           LEO         0