[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Amazing Spectacle in East Ga.

The "Leonid" Shower:

               Nov 16/17:
                                I manage to bag several thousand
magnitude 19 raindrops.  I look up just in time to catch a wide, dense
cloud soaring overhead at 2:15 AM local time, moving from the Pleides
into eastern Gemini.  Magnificent!

            Nov 17/18:
                        After driving for about 150 miles looking for
clear skies, I settle on a small campsite near Athens, Ga.  Skies are
clear at midnight.  I am soon treated to a tremendous outburst of fluffy
white clouds.  I get excited, it is obvious even to a rank amateur like
myself....The Leonid "Storm" is fast approaching!  Indeed, within
minutes the entire sky is filled with clouds, so many I lose count and
realize that I must simply sit back and enjoy the spectacle.  The entire
rest of the night is given over to an incredible display of overcast
cloudiness, the richness and variety of which I am still awed by!

          Nov 18/19:
                The experts had predicted a strong Leonid shower as more
probable than a storm this year and by golly, that's what happened here
at my site on the 18/19th!  It was indeed a very strong shower and it
lasted all night and well into Sunday afternoon!  I can't remember when
it last rained so hard.   I am only now feeling rested enough to begin
transcribing my tape from these three phenomenal sessions.  I hope the
IMO doesn't get too upset with me however...I was just never able to
quite pin down my Field of View! :)

Soggy and sad,
Kim Youmans