[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sad Tale of Clouds and Cold

   On Friday night, my brave wife Lynne and I went camping in West Virginia
near Lost River State Park. After sunset there were a few sucker holes where
I could see 6.6 magn. stars; so I thought there would be a chance to see the
Leonids, but it was not to be. I stayed up almost all night doing a vigil and
trying to keep Lynne and myself warm. There was a constant 30 MPH wind which
made a windchill of near 0 degrees F. We had a catlytic heater, but water
still froze in the tent. It was pretty rough. I checked the sky every hour and
after midnight I never saw a star of the Moon. What hurts most, is that it was
clear at home in Maryland. I am feeling a little blue this morning. This is
first Leonids I've been clouded out in four years. I'm glad many others in the
east had such a fine show.

GWG