[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids Nov 17/18 report - Central Pa., USA

Observer: Robert R. Young
Date: November 17/18, 2000
Location: Conrad Weiser State Forest, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, USA
LAT: 40 deg 31' North; LONG: 76 deg 46' West; EL 503 meters
No obstructions, with ~ 15% horizons; the sky was >95% clear during
observations

UT (18th)   LM  (IMO Zone #2)       Teff   FOV      LEO TAU

3:00        9 stars = 5.79
3:15 - 4:15                         1.0   S +70         3          1

3:47  Moonrise (61% illuminated) behind low cloud
4:15 - 5:00                                 1.0                     14
 1
6:00           5 stars = 4.95
6:15 - 6:30                         0     SW +70     16
6:30 - 6:45                                      0                        11
6:45 - 7:00                         0                15
7:00 - 7:15                         0                25
Break                      4.95
7:45 - 8:00                         0     W +70        25
8:00 - 8:15                         1.0                5
8:15 - 8:30                         0                 11
8:30                4.95
Clouds came in about 9:30 UT

Totals  3:45                                     3.0                125     2

The sky was mostly clouds, with Jupiter and Saturn peeking through in the
South when we left about 7:45 PM local time.  We relied on Joe Rao's
prediction, which as it turned out was just about right.  We observed at a
new observing spot, a helicopter landing site with excellent low horizons on
the top of a mountain in a State Forest, about 25 miles north of Harrisburg.
A camp stove with hot, boiling water for chocolate and coffee made things
bearable.  At first I thought I heard a train,  but it was only the wind in
the
surrounding forest.  Later this died down and the temperature dropped to
29 F.  We were OK in our sleeping bags or under piles of blankets on our
deck chairs, even though we and everything was covered with glistening
frost in the Moonlight.  But, what a spectacular fireworks show, including
several times when two or three were seen in a minute.  One spectacular
Earth grazer looked like the afterburner of a jet disappearing in the West.
Most fireballs seemed to be less than Jupiter (-2.7 mag), but one spectacular
one which dove down steeply to the West was probably -10.  Best show
I've seen since I caught the Leonid storm through 25% broken clouds 34 years
ago in Georgia.  This was well worth it.

Bob Young
PO Box 371
Harrisburg PA  17108-0371
youngbob2@aol.com