[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) November 17/18

Hi all!

I am just getting started with observing meteors, so kindly pardon my lack of details re LM's, shower associations, and magnitudes.  I hope to learn enough by next year's Leonids to submit more usable data.  I observed from my backyard in Westchester County, NY (41.02N, 73.46W).  I really gotta move if I want to get serious about observing.  Between houses and trees, my sky is obscured about 30-40% which is a bad start.  However, I was able to use these obstructions to block the moon and other light pollution sources to a large extent.

The sky was totally clear of clouds, though not as dark as some other nights this Fall.  Best guess at LM - 5.0 - 5.5.  Temperatures around 30 degrees F, little or no wind.  I do a lot of skiing and enjoy cold weather, so the temp's were no problem, just put on the right clothes and pretend you're in the Caribbean.  Started observing at 7:24UT (2:24 EST) and put a camera on a tripod next to me to try some photos, as well.  Had binoculars and a Meade ETX-90 telescope, but never touched them.  Couldn't get my eyes away from the sky!

I observed 47 meteors in the next 60 minutes.  Breakdown by 15 minute intervals: 8, 21, 11, 7.  Ten had trails lasting no more than 1 second.  Two were blue, one red/yellow.  Most traveled 10 - 15 degrees and appeared to be Leonids by their direction of movement away from the moon/LEO.  Estimated range of magnitudes: -3 to +3.  Many pairs seen within a few seconds and one triple (#18, #19, & #20).  None seen simultaneously.  One pair appeared along same path, as if it were a single meteor that "blinked" off and then on again as it traveled.

Saw another 7 meteors over next 30 minutes, while experimenting with the camera.  As I was heading inside, I turned for a final look and saw the Little Dipper that was behind trees from where I had been observing.  I set up the camera again to try a five minute exposure.  After the shutter was open, I noticed an airplane traveling from the southeast.  It made a slight turn and crossed through the bowl of the Little Dipper.  Can't wait to see how it looks on the film.

Can't wait until next observing opportunity.  Guess I'm hooked.

Clear skies,
Steve