[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shanley, Jason" <jason.shanley@astrazeneca.com>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>; <nmastro@ptddot net>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 3:47 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

> I may have seen your fireball inquestion. I was observing the Leonids from
> Wilmington Delaware. I saw a very brilliant greenish blue fireball around
> 2:50 am (EST) Saturday 18th heading  NW. It had a long train that persisted
> for about 3 sec. I wrote its trajectory  on my star chart. It covered a
> large arc before I lost it behind some trees. It was the highlight of my
> night. I will look at my chart tonight and see if I can't get you some more
> info.

I was near Denton, Maryland, which is something like 50-60 miles south of
Wilmington, I believe. I saw something pretty similar at that time though it was
pretty low on the Northern horizon.

However, I was spoiled by 1998.....hard to compare 3 second trains to 8 minute
trains :-) I only saw two that I'd really call "fireballs" (though I am not to
the point where I can do any sort of magnitude estimates of meteors.)