[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

I had originally planned to go out to the desert for both the 16/17 and
17/18 of November to observe the the Leonids but problems with a
prosthetic hip made me settle for a short observing  trip to the San
Gabriel mountains for 16/17 where I observed from 6:30 UT to 8:30 UT
before being driven out by the cold. My location was N 34:17:05, W
117:59:30, at an altitude of 5117 ft.  I didn't know that my recording
equipment was not working so I lack good times.  The LM was very bad due
to light pollution. Maybe a LM of 4 with my old 5.5 eyes.  I saw two
very nice Leonids, perhaps -3 though it was difficult to judge in the
coma of the moon. One mag 2 NTA and two 3 rd mag SPO.  On the 17/18 I
observed from my back yard N 34:09:56,  W 118:03:31 at an altitude of
951 ft.  This time I observed from about 7:00 UT to 8:30 UT.  I only saw
2 Leonids and both of them were sparklers of about magnitude 1 or 0.
The second one at about 8:15 or 8:20 could have been the one that Bob
Yen photographed from Mt Wilson since my home is four miles due south of
Mt Wilson. Its color was on the red side and it sparkled. I can't see
the sparkle in the photograph.   I am sorry that my recorder was not
working or I could possibly corroborate the time of that meteor.
    By the way if any one reading this did not down load Bob Yen's
photos I would suggest you do it right now.  I spent some time studying
them.  They are really fantastic. Thanks Bob for posting them!

Robert Gardner