[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

One short contribution on this thread: The Leonid meteoroid fragments are
generally thought to have between 1/2 and 2 times the density of water - in
essence, they are predominantly extremely fragile "cosmic dustbunnies", NOT
"rocks". That's why it's almost inconceivable such material would survive the
incredible force of entering Earth's atmosphere at 160,000 miles per hour!

That said, there is no demonstration I have yet seen that a meteorite impact
from a Leonid would be IMPOSSIBLE; nor is it impossible that a Sporadic or a
Taurid meteorite-dropping fireball might have just *happened* to occur on the
night of a major Leonid outburst? Again, no one can say that either of these
possibilities could NOT occur. However, we CAN say that both possibilities are
really, really, "astronomically" UNLIKELY! I would think of it as sort of like
winning the lottery, only less probable I'd say. :)

Just putting a word in... Clear skies and happy hunting!
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: