[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

To add to Lew's comments below there are simulations by computer of large
pieces of cometary material entering the atmosphere and the pressure that
builds up due to the shock wave of reentry causes the explosion of the
material before it reaches the ground a la Tunguska. Even some asteroid
material (which is presumed stronger) explodes in the same simulations. For
that reason on one I know gives an credence to the idea of cometary
meteorites.>One short contribution on this thread: The Leonid meteoroid
fragments are

Terry

>generally thought to have between 1/2 and 2 times the density of water - in
>essence, they are predominantly extremely fragile "cosmic dustbunnies", NOT
>"rocks". That's why it's almost inconceivable such material would survive the
>incredible force of entering Earth's atmosphere at 160,000 miles per hour!
>
>That said, there is no demonstration I have yet seen that a meteorite impact
>from a Leonid would be IMPOSSIBLE; nor is it impossible that a Sporadic or a
>Taurid meteorite-dropping fireball might have just *happened* to occur on the
>night of a major Leonid outburst? Again, no one can say that either of these
>possibilities could NOT occur. However, we CAN say that both possibilities are
>really, really, "astronomically" UNLIKELY! I would think of it as sort of like
>winning the lottery, only less probable I'd say. :)
>
>Just putting a word in... Clear skies and happy hunting!
>Lew Gramer
>
>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html

Terry Richardson

843 937-1048 pager #
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

First Class Mail:

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424

Packages:
Terry Richardson
College of Charleston Dept. of Physics
58 Coming Street, Room 101
Charleston, SC 29424

Office Location: Science Center Room 102