[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

John,

     You and I both saw that 8-minute train--do you remember our
communication about this?  I saw it in Auriga from my vantage point in South
Jersey, you saw it near the Big Dipper from yours (if I recall correctly).
     I was out observing from a few miles east of Millville this year on the
big night and I and my partner each saw about 70 Leonids betweeen 2 and 3
a.m. EST.  The most intense 10 minutes for me was 3-3:10 a.m. when I counted
15 Leonids.  If we saw the fireball you guys are talking about it was much
less bright from here, though still impressive.  There were a few bonafide
fireballs but only one "shadowcaster" this time--a fireball of perhaps about
-6 which terminated maybe 20 degrees high in the northeast (don't recall the
time offhand).
     Yet another wonderful year with the Leonids...this is getting to be
habit-forming!
                           --Fred