[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

Terry Richardson recently wrote about possible cometary meteorites:

>To add to Lew's comments below there are simulations by computer of large
>pieces of cometary material entering the atmosphere and the pressure that
>builds up due to the shock wave of reentry causes the explosion of the
>material before it reaches the ground a la Tunguska. Even some asteroid
>material (which is presumed stronger) explodes in the same simulations. For
>that reason [no] one I know gives an credence to the idea of cometary
>meteorites.

Although I agree with the general premise that most cometary exhaust fluff is
the dust bunnies we see as meteors, which never make it to the ground. However
comets are not a homogeneous group, with some being more friable than others.
Some scientific researchers think the CI and CM carbonaceous chondrite meteor-
ites are from ancient comets, which have lost their volatiles eons ago. Some
scientific papers have been written recently about this. See SPACE SCIENCE
REVIEWS, 1999, Vol.90, No.1-2, pp.289-297.

GWG