[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Pennsylvania impactor

The PA Impactor was an interesting post.
I have an unusual addendum.
I was asleep at the time. Our area here in northcentral PA mountains was
totally overcast.
No leonids for us.

But, early that Saturday morning I was awakened abruptly by a bright light
shining in my room from outside. It was as if my room lit up. I should
explain that my bedroom has a large sliding glass door leading onto an
unroofed deck. It gives an excellent view of the north and northeastern sky.
When the light occurred, it was strong enough to make the overcast sky glow
as brightly as unseen lightning might. The glow lasted a few seconds then
disappeared. There are no light sources in this direction from my home, just
a dark wooded hillside.
Regrettably, I didn't look at my clock and cannot tell you the exact time,
but it was early that morning.

If this was your impactor, than it is the second big November fireball I saw
"indirectly". Years ago, one occurred while I was canoeing on Kinzua Lake in
NW PA checking a trapline at night. It was very foggy and dark. Suddenly,
the entire area lit up like daylight! Very spooky. We found out the next day
it was a huge fireball over PA.

It's weird how I never have clear skies for these things...

terry