[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pennsylvannia Impact

George Gliba wrote (in a thread about possible "meteor shower meteorites"):
>Some scientific researchers think the CI and CM carbonaceous chondrite meteor-
>ites are from ancient comets, which have lost their volatiles eons ago. Some
>scientific papers have been written recently about this. See SPACE SCIENCE
>REVIEWS, 1999, Vol.90, No.1-2, pp.289-297.

This was a really intriguing reference, George. Do the authors of this paper
propose which classes of comets (or even which specific formerly cometary
bodies) may be responsible for these "asteroidal" chondritic debris? And in
thinking about it, wouldn't the existence of such "chondritic comets" pose
some problems for our current theories of the formation of comets - and even
more general theories about the formation of planetary systems?

(I also wonder how this research ties in with recent investigations of 3200
Phaethon, the "asteroidal" parent body of the Geminids, and other apparent
asteroids associated with meteoroid streams?)

This is certainly an interesting thread!
Lew