[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids in Finland

This year decided to stay in Finland, in spite of bad weather usually in
November. However, I was able to find the only (?) place with clear enough
sky in the south-eastern corner of Finland (Ruokolahti), just 10 km away
from Russian border.
(Ruokolahti came a famous place some years ago when somebody saw a possible
Lion (!!!) there!! This strange thing got never a real answer - may be a
runaway from Zoo or just a misidentification? However, on the 17th/18th
Nov.2000 there were many Lion tracks on the sky, hi!)
I saw appr. 100-200 Leonids. I don't count the numbers, because I try to
photograph them (and it is impossible to do both thing together). The
weather was good in the beginning (until 2.20 LT = 0020 UT) and later some
fog and some thin clouds. I was happy to see Leonids also here in Finland.
In 1999 I was in Tunisia and was able to find only some gaps between the
clouds.
In 1998 I was in the Great Wall in China and I saw the huge fireball show
there. If You like to see my photos, please visit on my page:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/fmbb/astro/meteorit.htm
Timo Leponiemi