[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Moon's deflection of Leonids

Thanks for sharing that result, Pete. Mike, presumably the answer to this
question is very dependent on the selenocentric velocity of the meteoroid
particles - the faster the particle, the less the impact of the moon. And
of course, of the well-known streams, the Leonids are the fastest!

(Note that the same holds true for the famous "zenithal attraction" due to
Earth's gravitational influence on incoming meteoroid particles: it's more
pronounced the slower the geocentric velocity of the stream.)

PS: I forwarded Pete's response on to Mike. But please try to remember to
"CC:" nonsubscribers when replying to such queries from outside our list.
I try to reforward replies whenever necessary, but I'm not infallible. :)

Clear skies,
Lew