[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids Report (Mt. Wilson)

*******Leonids REPORT from Mt. Wilson 11/16-17-18/2000

11/16-17  (Thu eve, Fri mor)
cold, very breezy at times.  5000 ft elevation.  low pressure area
funnelling cold air from Canada

ran meteor-patrol mount (2 cameras): exposure every 5 min from 11pm -
5am

no breaks, standing the whole time, bending backward, facing zenith

got so cold, picked up rocks & threw them off the cliff to get
exercise.  infernal dripping nose, constantly wiping/cleaning!!??  how &
why do people observe in near-freezing weather?? (Midwest & East)

infernal cars driving down Angeles Crest Hwy..(!!??).  Had to be on
constant watchout, to cover up cameras.  infernal airplanes all over.
could see a line of planes in south, lined up for LAX approach.

didn't see first Leonid until couple hrs into session.  It was near
Leo's sickle, had a persistent train.  Looked like a spear: yes...a
"familiar signature" from Leonids past..

didn't even visually see the LONG Leonid one recorded on film. (it's
hard to constantly monitor the sky for 6 straight hrs, running cameras
every 5 min)

the bright Taurid (?) towards the NE-E horizon was one of the
biggest/brightest meteors observed

disappointed in not getting a slew of bright fireballs (as in '98).
Didn't get a "rain of meteors" towards 3-5am, towards S,W, NW horizon.

11/17-18  (Fri eve, Sat mor)
not as cold as 16-17, very breezy at times.  5000 ft elevation.  high
pressure area building, Santa Ana effect, bringing warmer winds.  There
were several times, a HUGE breeze came up (35-40mph).  my lawnchair got
blown over 3 times.  My car hood was lifted up, & collapsed.  I looked
over at the 2 meteor-patrol mounts, fully expecting to see them blow
over, 2 expensive fisheye lenses ($400 & $550) getting creamed.

ran 2 meteor-patrol mount (4 cameras): exposure every 5 min from 11pm -
5am

no breaks, standing the whole time, bending backward, facing zenith.
sometimes sitting in chair.  brought water & cookies this time (didn't
starve like the previous night)

didn't bother to look at the radiant (as in previous night), moon is too
bright

saw many earthgrazers 11pm-12:30am.  Beauties: bright,
w/persistent-trains.  Saw a pattern developing in north horizon, changed
2nd fisheye-camera to monitor the area.  I actually was fiddling with
its composition ~3am , looking in viewfinder...& SAW a fireball go thru
the frame!!!  ..Those are the breaks..

many more bright fireballs than previous night.  (it was European
observers who mentioned it on the Internet, which made me go out a 2nd
night).  it was definitely a good show, worth the trip.

[ as with previous evening ] disappointed in not getting a slew of
bright fireballs (as in '98).  Didn't get a "rain of meteors" towards
3-5am, towards S,W, NW horizon.

[ as with previous evening ] those infernal cars on Angeles Crest Hwy at
12-5am!!??  I was amazed at how only ONE frame was just *slightly*
flared.  I thought I had a bunch of frames messed up.  Infernal
airplanes all over.  Friday night flights.  Mt. Wilson = pits, not good
for astrophotography.

There was group of people in the turnout 100 yards away.  I heard them
ooh-aah, as they saw a good meteor (I didn't see it myself)

were a last minute decision.  Pleased with photo-results.  Moonlight
astrophotography for meteors.dot it was a new experience & challenge...
Whew!  Thanks to Christophe in France (see Appendix 2), who basically
did a "test-exposure run" for me.  I guessed on 5 min @f2.8 for the 1st
night, & exposures looked good.  (I went with the same times the
following night).

13 rolls (24 exp) shot over 2 nights, total cost (incl developing) =
$80.  Gas= $20.  To be honest, the frames w/meteors showed only the
BRIGHT fireballs.  My visual notes (see Appendix 1) confirm, that many
meteors never recorded.  Was it worth the cost ($100) to get several
images??  (I spent $300 on last year Leonids.  Coulda bought a telescope
or nice camera lens).  Depends on your point of view.  Science: Yes
(meteor-patrol cameras all-sky coverage monitors Leonid activity,
11pm-5am)
Amateur: probably No ("shooting at random..hoping for meteors..making
pretty pictures")

Bottomline: I did what I HAD to do..

"Opinion vs Science, Opinion begets Ignorance, Science Knowledge"
-- Hipparchus

***"frame" shows planets, moon, earth, meteor, deep-sky
This has to be some kind of a "first":
http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/leonids00/1718/M16mm/M16mm.html

The fisheye shot shows the moon, Milky Way (you can see a "hint" of it),
2 planets (Jupiter & Saturn), a long fireball, deep-sky objects: M35
(clearly), NGC1499 (barely), M45 (clearly), M42 (clearly), earth
horizon.

***"frame" shows long fireball near gas-giant planets
http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/leonids00/1718/C24mm/C24mm.html

Compare the above LONG fireball (near Taurus, Pleiades, Jupiter, Saturn)
with..

http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/geminids99/N20mm/N20mm.html

Very similar.."deja vu"..from ~1 year ago.  A fireball thru Taurus,
Pleiades, Jupiter.
That Geminid was perhaps the MOST spectacular meteor I;ve experienced.
I didn't even see it.  I was so "bombed out" (sleep-deprived, after 200
mile 3.5 hr drive to Anza Borrego), I was JUST about to lie down in my
van..& the ground/surroundings LIT UP.  I said "What was that??  Did I
imagine that??  Did I inadvertently turn on my flashlight".  Only after
coming back & developing film, did I confirm: HUGE FIREBALL.  (This was
also seen & photographed by Robert Lunsford/AMS in Joshua Tree, north of
me)

Appendix 1   Visual Notes

11/16-17  (Thu eve, Fri mor)
12:20am     changed composition
1:20am       started new roll
1:30am       saw 3 near Leo's "sickle".  Bright, left persistent-trains.

1:32am       near xxx, bright w/persistent-train
1:58am       below Orion
2:21am       real bright (as Jupiter), towards NE-E horizon.  Taurid?
2:38 - 2:45 changed composition in fisheye-camera
3:24am       from S.E. horizon to zenith.  sporadic?
3:28am       west horizon, below Orion
3:50am       new composition for fisheye-camera
4:12am       fast one near Jupiter, mag 3

11/17-18
11:15am      started meteor-patrol mount #1 (Tak EM10)
11:45am      started meteor-patrol mount #2 (Vixen GP)
12:03am      north horizon, long one/mag 0/, 1 sec persistent-train
12:17am      left of moon & Leo's sickle, long slow one/mag
0/persistent-train
12:18am      even brighter than above
12:25am      LONG one, bright w/nucleus
12:34am      right of moon, long <illegible writing>
12:46am      fast one, long mag 3, north horizon
1:00am       mag 0, fast, persistent-train=2 sec, xxx Castor/Pollux
1:02am       fast one, thru Big Dipper
1:37am       new roll for meteor-patrol mount#1 (Tak EM10)
1:43am       long, bright mag -1, above Orion
1:52am       flash in west horizon (car??)
1:57am       Taurid towards SW horizon
2:09am       new roll for meteor-patrol mount#1 (Vixen GP)
2:23am       changed GP 50mm/2.8 camera, to 35mm/2
2:37am       bright fireball above mtn (north horizon)
2:56am       towards NW horizon, past Pleiades, mag 2
3:09am       fast, long, mag 3, towards NW horizon
3:29am       bright mag 0, left of Orion, .2 sec persistent-train
3:41am       fast one, mag 3, toward N-NW horizon
3:51am       below Orion, mag 2, towards SW horizon
4:00am       EM10 cameras, ran out of film.  recompose 16mm fisheye (GP)

4:00-4:10am  1st exposure for 16mm fisheye (GP)
4:14am       fast, mag 4, left of Orion
4:22am       started "chopped roll" on 16mm fisheye (EM10)
4:35am       fast, bright mag 1, towards S horizon, between Orion &
Taurus
4:37am       towards S. horizon, mag 0

Appendix 2    Exposure times for meteor photography w/3rd quarter moon