[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors via FM radio?

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:50:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Geoff Wolfe <Dxer2@excite.com.au>
To: meteorobs@jovian.com
Subject: meteors via FM radio

Hi everyone, my name is Geoff Wolfe from Australia.

I like to monitor meteor activity with my FM Tuner & find it very
interesting. It is not restricted by cloud, moon or daylight.
Cooma is located 1 hour's drive south of Canberra & is an excellent location
for both radio & visual meteor observation.

One thing I do notice is that some frequencies are more active than others &
here in southern NSW I find about 6 frequencies to be dominant. My main
interest is trains (of course).

My equipment consists of 2 FM tuners, 2 FM antennas & 2 decks to record the
signals (minidisk Deck & HiFi video deck). The video is good because you can
record on LP mode for up to 8 hours & leave it recording continuously during
meteor showers. I am developing an excellent archive of recordings on CD.

Well we've been through the Leonids for another year & this year was not as
good as previous years (1998/1999). The trains were not as long lasting
however they were more intense. For the 1st time I noted a Leonid created
the DOPPLER EFFECT on my FM tuner which created a massive/intense train for
about 1min. The station was 93.3 SBS-FM from Brisbane QLD (about 900 Km from
my location in  a straight line).
The most distant signal I hear on FM is from Mackay QLD (about 1500km+).

The longest train I've heard was during Leonids 1999 & lasted for 3:46 mins
(a good stereo signal too!). Reception off trains sounds fluttery (like
travelling in a car).
I welcome any comments or questions at dxer2@excite.com.au
I'm interested in hearing from others who use their FM receivers in this
fashion.
Cheers Geoff.<Cooma NSW Australia>.

------- End of Forwarded Message