[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: shower meteor colors

Steve writes :

>Is data available on color distribution by radiant?  If such information is
available, individuals can "see" how their perception compares with >others.
Over time this may lead to more uniform (not necessarily more accurate)
reporting because observers will know what colors they >"should be" seeing.

I did a color table for each major shower plus sporadics using my data up to
1985.  It showed no significant variation of color distribution among the
showers.  The same basic color pattern was present for every one of them.  I
will have to get these tables out and post them.

Seeing similar tables from other observers I would find very interesting.
As I mentioned the other day, no two would probably be alike.  And how
someone else could see no color in a bright meteor or fireball when I see an
intense one amazes me.  In a  -3m or brighter meteor you would think anyone
would see color, but that doesn't happen.  Joan can just begin to see a hint
of color in some of the brightest meteors, yet she can see color in the
brightest stars.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor