[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids - colors?

Steve Kaplan wrote:

"Is data available on color distribution by radiant?  If such information is available, individuals can "see" how their perception compares with others.  Over time this may lead to more uniform (not necessarily more accurate) reporting because observers will know what colors they "should be" seeing."

    Colour perception of meteor observers is interesting, but I'm not sure if it really adds anything of use.  I believe some members of the IMO were going to do a study of the colour index of meteors by taking photographs through three filters using panchromatic films.  This is probably the only way to get accurate results.  Spectroscopy is another method, but I think it would be difficult to correlate the colour of the spectral lines to the blended colour of what is visually observed.  If an observer is told that most Perseids are 'orange', you will soon have an increase in this reported colour, even if it is not true.  Colour films are not the answer either.  Colour films are designed for 'short exposure' photography and not long exposures of several minutes.  There is a colour shift in this case, so all a colour film provides is a pretty picture, not an accurate rendition of the actual colour.  Has anyone seen the results of the colour index experiment that the IMO was going to try?

Ed Majden

Follow-Ups: References: