[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids - colors?

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Kaplan

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I agree regarding adding anything of use, unless there is a correlation between ability to perceive colors and another variable, e.go. - faint meteor or LM perception.  If there was a strong correlation, would that become a factor in analyzing one's report data?  Sorry if this is a silly proposition, I'm fairly new at this.

Steve Kaplan

Steve:
    I'm not sure I understand your question.  I haven't done serious visual meteor observing for a long time, (poor visual acuity), other than monitoring my camera fields when doing meteor spectroscopy.  As for faint meteor colour perception I quote from D.W.R. McKinley's book, Meteor Science and Engineering: "Recent Super-Schmidt studies (Jacchia, 1957) have suggested that the color index may be about -1 for fainter meteors, possibly because the peak sensitivity of the eye moves toward the blue for fainter light sources (Purkinje effect)."  Jacchia's paper can be found in: 1957, Astron. J., 62, 358-362, On the color index of meteors.  I don't have a copy of this paper, but would be interested in seeing it if you run across a copy.

Ed Majden