[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) update Nov 18 7:20 UTC Leonid peak (ZHR ~800?!)

Folks,

With the help of Carl, I last night extended the American part
of the ZHR diagram on my website
(http://homes.dsldot nl/~marcolan/leoY2K.html) with data by Pierre
Martin (Canada). These match those of Norman McLeod very well,
again suggesting peak ZHR's in the order of ~800 near 7:20 UTC
(Nov. 18). This compares to ZHR ~350 for the 3:25 UTC European
peak. These values actually match well the predictions by
Lyytinen and Van Flandern (ZHR ~700 for the 4 revs. trail).
Perceptions have been taken into account in the calculations.

The ascending slope of the American data fits well to the last
part of our data from Portugal: you see a trend setting in in
our data and smoothly continuing in the American data!
The result is a major symmetric peak centered at 7:20 UTC and
another major but lesser peak centered at 3:25 UTC. And there
appears to be "something" of short duration near 2:00 UTC.

- Marco Langbroek
  Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)