[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing from a Blimp

To All,

One of my clients has leased a state-of-the-art blimp for a year.  The blimp will be touring the USA for promotional purposes.  Mostly, it will be providing television coverage of sporting events.  As the client is looking to maximize the use of the blimp, they are amenable to doing charity and educational programs, as well.  I asked if providing the blimp as a platform for scientific meteor observing would be possible.  Before going any further with this idea, I wanted to ask this list if observing from a blimp is practical or desirable.  You can see pictures and some specifications of the blimp on their Web site:

    www.winstar.com

What parameters are required?  The gondola can carry seven passengers comfortably, however the gondola is located under the envelope, blocking any upward views.

Steve Kaplan