[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Ursids

Last December Bob Lunsford reported here that in 1993 he
saw 81 Ursids in five hours.  (What ZHR would that yield?)

 http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/msg16698.html

That's almost as good as my very first attempt at meteor
shower observing, the Perseids one year in the early 90's,
when I saw 80 of them between 9:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.  (I
knew even less about meteor showers back then and was
unaware of the fact that I went out several hours too early!
About the only information I had was news reports on TV and
in the local newspaper.  But I started seeing them as soon
as it was dark enough.  I saw quite a few streak through
very long paths across the sky during the earliest part of
the session, presumably Perseid earth-grazers.  I was
truly thrilled to see so many meteors!)

Even though here the Ursid radiant only gets up to about 40
degrees above the horizon by dawn and is only about 15
degrees up at 6:00 UTC, I'm planning to try to see some.  In
spite of the moonlight I plan to look for Geminids too since
I saw 15 or 16 of them one morning from the middle of Austin
in less than an hour Teff just before dawn.  I think that was
1996.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html