[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Tein fireball sighting over Chandlers Ford, UK

Twin fireball sighting over Chandlers Ford, Hampshire, UK.  Approx. 18:35 UT 02 December, 2000.  Mag > -10.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just two streets away from home when I sighted twin orange-red fireballs from my car.  They were on a heading of NNE and looked like two bright flares; no trains visible at the time.  They moved quickly and separated from about 1/2 degree to 1 degree spread over a 20 degree travel, disappearing towards the NNE horizon.  They appeared low.  Possible fall of meteorites?

When I got home a minute later, I noticed a long vapour trail from the southern horizon to almost the NNE horizon.  The start of the trail passed in front of the crescent moon drifting towards the West  - a most entrancing sight.  I 'quickly' found my camera (they're never handy when you need them!) and managed to get a few photos - I look forward to getting them developed and hopefully capturing some of the event.   The winds took the vapour trail northwards twisting the start of the train westwards and the train end Eastwards.

The trail was visible for over 20 minutes!   Good vapour conditions, damp wet air, some high cirrus but clear otherwise.

Did anyone else make a sighting of the event?  I'd be please to hear from you.

Clear skies.
Joe.

Joe Kaplonek
Schools and Colleges Liaison Officer
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Southampton
Southampton SO17 1BJ

Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 4803
Fax:+44 (0)23 8059 5441