[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) spectacles and LM

I used to work as an Optical Technician before I became a Police Officer.  I had a friend who was a meteor observer like the rest of our group, and I made him up a set of glasses to observe with.  Contacts were no good as his eyes were very sensitive and he couldn't wear them.

The glasses were 1/4 dioptre stronger than his script.  They were also large, wrap around, aspheric, and rimless - I custom made them to suit.  The size gave a good field of view for observing, helped by the wrap around fitting, the rimless aspect meant no edge of field obstruction, the aspheric quality meant there was less distortion in the edge of the larger lenses.  The lenses were multicoated to reduce surface reflection and light loss (a must).  My friend told me after a couple of nights using them that it doubled his rates of meteors over his old smaller, metal rimmed glasses.  There not the type of glasses that will win a fashion parade, but they worked.

I don't need glasses of contacts myself, but anyone who does wear them should consider a custom made pair of glasses if they cant wear contacts.  Contacts are the best option if your eyes can tolerate them on your eyes.

Adam R. Marsh (MARAD)

  armarsh@jeack.com.au

  Asst Director  - ASV Meteor Section (ASVMS).

  Co-Oridnator - Eastern Australian Meteor Network (EAMN).

  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

  ASV Meteor Section - Homepage

  http://www.geocities.com/vodickar/ASVMSHomepage.htm

  EAMN Mail List - Moderator: Richard Pollard

  http://www.egroups.com/group/EAMN

For more information on the ASV Meteor Section contact the director Roger Vodicka at  vodickar@yahoo.com